|Remo J. RUFFINI
Last update: 13th August 2004
Born: La Brigue, France, May 17, 1942.
Married: Anna Imponente, one son: Jacopo
Italian citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident
Academic Qualification: Professor, Chair of Theoretical Physics
||University "La Sapienza",
P.za A. Moro 5 - 00185 Roma
||via Savoia 37 00198 Roma
- Doctorate in Physics, University of Rome, 1966.
- Postdoctoral fellow Mainz Academy of Sciences. Hamburg, Fed. Republic, Germany, 1967.
- Postdoctoral fellow Palmer Physics Lab. Princeton University, N.J., 1967-68.
- Member Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, N.J., 1968-70.
- Instructor, Princeton Univ., 1970-71.
- Assistant Professor, Princeton University, 1971-74.
- Member Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, N.J. 1974-76 .
- Visiting professor Kyoto University (Japan), 1975.
- Visiting professor University of Western Australia, Nedlands (Australia), 1975.
- Professor University of Catania, Italy, 1976-78.
- Professor, Chair of
Theoretical Physics, University of Rome "la Sapienza", 1978-
- Member Council of Center. International Physics, BogotÓ, Colombia, 1984-
- President International Center Relativistic Astrophysics (ICRA), 1985-
- Director of ICRANet 2005-
- Member of Task Force Scientific Use of Space Station NASA, Washington, 1986-88.
- Chairman International Organizing Committee of Marcel Grossmann Meetings, 1984-
- Member International Forum on the Scientific Use of Space Station, Washington, 1986-90.
- Member of Consiglio Ricerche Astronomiche, Rome, 1987-91.
- Co-Chairman Italian-Korean Meetings on Relativistic Astrophysics, Rome and Seoul, 1987-
- Chairman William Fairbanks Meetings, 1990-
- President of the Scientific Committee of the Italian Space Agency, Rome, 1989-93.
- Member of the Board of ENEA, 2004-
- Co-Director Advanced Series in Astrophysics and Cosmology-World Scientific, Singapore,
- Editor Internat. Jour. Modern Phys. D World Scientific Singapore, 1992-
- Editor of the series "The Marcel Grossmann meetings on relativistic Field
- Co-Editor of the Series" Italo-Korean meetings on Relativistic Astrophysics".
- Member Sigma Xi.
- Member Italian Physical Society.
- Founding Member of European Physical Society.
- Member of Euroscience
- Fellow recipient:
- Cressy Morrison award of the New York Academy of Sciences , 1972.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society 1974-
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation fellow, 1974-76.
- Space Scientist of the Year Award, 1992.
- Honorary Professor of University of Kirghizia
Main Scientific Publications:
Coauthor, among others, of the following books:
- (with J. Bardeen, B. Carter, H. Gursky, S. Hawking, I. Novikov and K. Thorne)
"Black holes", Ed. B. and C. de Witt, Gordon and Breach, New York, 1973,
- (with M. Rees and J.A. Wheeler) "Black Holes, Gravitational Waves and
Cosmology", Gordon and Breach N.Y. 1974, also translated in Russian as "Cernie
Diri Gratazionnie Volni I Kosmologia", Mir, Moscow 1974,
- (with H.Gursky) "Neutron Stars, Black Holes and Binaries Sources", D. Reidel,
- (with R. Giacconi et al.) "Physics and Astrophysics of Neutron Stars Black
Holes", North Holland Pub. Co. Amsterdam 1978
- (with Humitaka Sato) "Black Holes", in japanese, Chuo Koron-Sha, Tokyo 1976,
- (with Fang Li Zhi) "Basic Concepts in Relativistic Astrophysics", in chinese,
Science Press, Beijing 1981, also translated into english,, World Scientific, Singapore
- (with Francesco Melchiorri) "Gamow Cosmology", North Holland Pub. Co.,
- (with H. Ohanian) "Gravitation and Spacetime" W.W. Norton and Co., New York
- (with H. Ohanian) "Gravitazione e Spazio-Tempo" Zanichelli, Bologna 1997
- (with H. Ohanian) "Gravitation and
Spacetime" W.W. Norton and Shin Won Agency Co., Seoul 2001
- (with R. Giacconi) Physics and Astrophysics of neutron stars and black holes, Cambridge Scientific Publishers, 2009